Noah's Ark Sinks

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Noah's Ark Sinks

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Ham has followed the example of Muslim critics and denounced the forthcoming Noah film. In true pot mode, he's called young kettles black because
... in this day and age, young people have a hard time deciphering reality from fiction and don't often take the time to form their own educated opinions.

Could it be, in fact, that the film will raise expectations about the ark that his landlocked shipwreck can't hope to fulfill?
http://www.christianpost.com/news/ken-ham-says-hollywoods-noah-will-do-more-harm-than-good-115834/

LOL! Big Ken Scam moaning that a film about an event that never happened is historically inaccurate. My irony metre just blew up.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Ham's new career - film critic

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Not content with using his biblical expertise to condemn the forthcoming "Noah", Ham is now striking out against the new "Son of God" film. Can it be the thin end of another wedge, with Ham greasing the slope ready for when he makes his own biblical epics? Or should that be singular, epic, since his criticisms all seem to revolve around Genesis? Look forward to the premier on his landlocked wreck in a few years' time. Genesis, The Movie. No evolved creatures welcome.
http://global.christianpost.com/news/ken-hams-answers-in-genesis-argues-son-of-god-movie-is-flawed-fails-to-address-sin-hell-115966/
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:Ex-Big Ken Scam's plans for the Ark Encounter look to be in serious difficulties, I'm pleased to say.

Things are still not going well for Big Ken Scam according to the following report. Scan should have saved up his money for a rainy day:

Ark Encounter’s original tax incentive application for potentially $43 million was approved by a Tourism board in May of 2011. This gave them three years to start construction, and whatever Ark Encounter spent on construction, they would be eligible for up to 25 percent of that amount once the park opened in rebates, assuming that the project was an economic success and passed benchmarks. However, that three year period ended this month, and Ark Encounter construction has not yet started, which would mean that they are not eligible for any tax incentives unless they amended or resubmitted an application. And in March, that’s exactly what they did.

Tourism Cabinet spokesman Gil Lawson tells LEO that on March 28, Ark Encounter representatives withdrew their original application for a $172 million project and resubmitted a new application for a dramatically scaled back $73 million project. If this application is approved — and if Ark Encounter is actually built and meets economic benchmarks — they would only be eligible for a maximum of $18.25 million in tax incentives.

But that remains a big “if.” Lawson notes that not all applications for tax incentives make their way to the Tourism board for a vote, and just because an application makes its way to the board doesn’t mean that it will be approved. Lawson says that Ark Encounter’s new application is currently being reviewed by the Tourism Cabinet, and it is still far from being scheduled for a vote. Sometimes this process takes a long time (see: Kentucky Kingdom) and sometimes it happens in record speed (see: Ark Encounter from December of 2010 to May of 2011).

During Ark Encounter’s first inception, Gov. Besehar put his full weight behind it, pushing the project through easily with very little oversight, though much humiliation for the state of Kentucky (see: Dinosaurs on a goddamned boat). LEO asked a Beshear spokesman this afternoon if the governor plans to fully support Ark Encounter’s new application like he did in late-2010 and early-2011, or if he would take another strategy. He said he would give us an answer as soon as he could, and we’ll update this story once that comes to us.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Roger Stanyard wrote:Ex-Big Ken Scam's plans for the Ark Encounter look to be in serious difficulties, I'm pleased to say.

Things are still not going well for Big Ken Scam according to the following report. Scan should have saved up his money for a rainy day:

Ark Encounter’s original tax incentive application for potentially $43 million was approved by a Tourism board in May of 2011. This gave them three years to start construction, and whatever Ark Encounter spent on construction, they would be eligible for up to 25 percent of that amount once the park opened in rebates, assuming that the project was an economic success and passed benchmarks. However, that three year period ended this month, and Ark Encounter construction has not yet started, which would mean that they are not eligible for any tax incentives unless they amended or resubmitted an application. And in March, that’s exactly what they did.

Big Ken has still got problems in raising finance for his Ark Encounter crapola.This time the State of Kentucky is having second thoughts on given him the tax breaks needed to fund it. It objecs to recruitment which specifically bars anyone from working for Ark Encounter unless they are fundamentalists. AiG, of course, claim that they are not discriminating but the State of Kentucky appears to think otherwise.

See http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... /16854657/
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 am

They [AiG] seem to be trying dodge around the rules on the basis that their position is religious - I though we'd been told it was scientific?
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 am

jon_12091 wrote:They [AiG] seem to be trying dodge around the rules on the basis that their position is religious - I though we'd been told it was scientific?

What's the betting that, if Ark Encounter is built, the top jobs there will be handed over to his familiy and his existing other cronies at AiG? That will leave jobs cleaning the bogs to be fulfilled, no doubt by otherwise unemployable members of the League of the South.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:16 pm

jon_12091 wrote:They [AiG] seem to be trying dodge around the rules on the basis that their position is religious - I though we'd been told it was scientific?

Perhaps it's a case of "look for the money". Americans United is suggesting that the State of Kentucky is getting cold feet about giving tax breaks for the Ark Encounter. The project has been heavily scaled back so it is not expected to generate anywehere near the 900 jobs expected - the expectation is now at around 225 and the vast majority will be part time. Americans United is also suggesting that discriminatory hiring practices are a factor in Kentucky getting cold feet.

The project is bow seriously late and the financing still does not appear to be in place. One wonders how much construction work has taken place so far.

One wonders whether Big Ken has got into bed with the neo-Nazis out of bad judgement or desperation,
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Well, it appears that Big Ken Scam hasn't even raised the money to complete the scaled-back Ark Encounter. He's still $14 million short; never mind the additional problem that the State of Kentucky hasn't come up with sales tax relief.

Scam is furious about the latter. See http://insiderlouisville.com/metro/ken- ... s-freedom/

What does he actually expect given his Arthur Daley like business practices?

Edit: such as http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... l-friends/
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:35 am

More on it here:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-usa-religion-ark-idUKKBN0JP06H20141211
I've emphasised the crux of the matter. Going down. Glug, glug, glug...
Kentucky has pulled potential tax credits for a proposed Noah's Ark-based theme park, telling the developer on Wednesday that the plans had evolved from a tourist attraction into a ministry seeking to advance religion.
Clever of them, to spot that!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:07 am

Brian Jordan wrote:More on it here:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-usa-religion-ark-idUKKBN0JP06H20141211
Kentucky has pulled potential tax credits for a proposed Noah's Ark-based theme park, telling the developer on Wednesday that the plans had evolved from a tourist attraction into a ministry seeking to advance religion.

i'm no expert on the legal issues behind issuing bonds but it would not surprise me that there are legal restrictions in spending the money raised so far - restrictions such that the other funding has to be in place first to complete the project. It isn't. As far as I can make out there remains a US$32 million shortfall. Seems to me that one reason is that Scam's current "museum" is struggling to attract visitors. Accepting a huge gift from a Nazi who may Amriecans (including creationists) would regard as a traitor was also an act of desperation.

So Ham has now turned to the martyrdom complex as his final act? That doesn't exactly inspire confidence either, does it?
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:More on it here:

Well the Ark Encounter is being built in an area of high unempolyement (11%), so, no doubt, the politicians have worked out that jobs will only go to creationist fundamentalists. Jobs for the boys, in other words. Not so good in attracting votes.

I've just found out that Big Ken has another scam in operation. He's trying to rause $14 million to help plug the holes in Ark Encounter's finances. And he is offering tax deductions on the grounds it is a charity. It isn't. It is a for profift business.

Big Ken's other scam is to run to the martyrdom complex, making mucho noise that that the opposition to Ark Encounter is organised by outside agitators, secularists, liberals, the media and whatever. No doubt another "clever plan" to raise more donantions from his oppressed fellow fundamentalists (just like he did in the split from Creation Ministries).
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:31 pm

He looks like he's about to make the kind of mistake that ends in forensic accountants and lawyers. Anyone else remember another creationist theme park?

Clearly they were writing cheques with their mouth that they were never going to be able to cash. I suspect being perceived as 'good' Christians it was widely assumed, having got the museum in the bag, they would be good for it. Their subsequent troubles and behaviour have probably made the state authorities very jumpy. And the history of religiously themed amusement parks in America does not appear to be a happy one. They're pretty niche even in the states and a creationist one would a niche within a niche.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am

Peter Henderson wrote:This clears things up a bit:

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014 ... ign=buffer

One hing is not entirely clear from this is who actually owns Ark Encounter. As far as i can make out, all the equity is owned directly by Answers in Genesis. Ther sales tax relief should make it much easier to pay interest on the park's huge debt, thus increasing the value of the equity investment by Answers in Genesis. Any profits made by Answers in Genesis from Ark Encounter can go into extending Scam's ministry which (as far as I can make out) is owned by Scam and his family. Given that Scam's family is on the payroll, it's jobs for the boys again.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 am

Brian Jordan wrote:
Earnings are supposed to fund future attractions such as the “Ten Plagues Ride” and a 100-foot-high “Tower of Babel,” according to the offering statement.
I think one plague, of babbling Ham, would be quite enough!

Big Ken thinks that the "problems" with his Ark Enounter crapola are caused by liberals - no doubt meaing that they problems have nothing whatsoever to do with him. See http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/k ... es-our-day

In one sense I'd love the half funded project to open - it would either go bust or show up the creationionists to be the ideological bigots that they really are - or both.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Previous

Return to Free For All