Daily Mail and Ngel Lawson at it again.

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Daily Mail and Ngel Lawson at it again.

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 pm

More AGW claims from the Daily Mail and Nigel Lawson:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dered.html

Met Office global warming figures 'are fatally flawed and could result in millions being squandered'
Think tank led by former Tory chancellor Lord Lawson says figures that shape climate change policy are 'biased'
HadCM3, a programme used to predict the effect of carbon dioxide levels, also attacked in report by group
Large sums of money could be 'malinvested' as a result, it is claimed
Hotly disputed by Met Office, who says they are confident in their figures
Report a 'stunt' by Global Warming Policy Foundation, one expert said

The Met Office’s global warming predictions are flawed and could result in millions of pounds being squandered, it is claimed.

A report for a think tank led by former Tory chancellor Lord Lawson says a computer programme behind figures that shape climate change policy is biased in favour of higher temperatures.

Large sums of public and private sector money could be ‘malinvested’ in everything from wind farms to heat-proof road surfaces as a result, it claims.

Lord Lawson, chairman of the Global Warming Policy Foundation, said: ‘The Government’s policy of abandoning cheap conventional energy and moving to expensive (and unreliable) renewable energy has always been of dubious merit.

'The fact that it now emerges this policy has been based on projections by a computer model which has been found to be fatally flawed means that an independent expert review of the model and its projections is both essential and urgent.’

The claim, hotly disputed by the Met Office, comes as scientists and officials meet in Stockholm to finalise a major report by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Experts claim the think tank timed its report to undermine the IPCC, which is expected to say the case for man-made global warming is stronger than ever.

The report attacks HadCM3, a programme used to predict the effect of carbon dioxide levels

It says there is a glitch in the way it factors in the impact of low-lying cloud, with estimates of small temperature rises adjusted upwards. Report author Andrew Montford said: ‘The UK’s official climate predictions are therefore unreliable and excessively alarmist.

‘The problem is highly technical but its implications are that the model, as currently used, will always provide high estimates of future warming
Peter Henderson

Re: Daily Mail and Ngel Lawson at it again.

Postby cathy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 am

Ah yes, well known climate scientist Lord Lawson. Oh sorry no, I meant former tory chancellor of crapness and well known climate change (for financial reasons of course) skeptic nutty Nige - father of supercook Nigella. Believed to have said something along the lines of - global warming - effects will be moderate rather than catastrophic. Showing a lack of understanding of the positive feedback loops it will probably cause and a real lack of giving a s@@@ for those who are already feeling its effects. Lets face it it's only the third world so far, not hit Blaby yet. :evil:

So I'm not sure whether to take a single word he says seriously - and certainly not the daily facist.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

Peter Henderson wrote:More AGW claims from the Daily Mail and Nigel Lawson:
‘The problem is highly technical but its implications are that the model, as currently used, will always provide high estimates of future warming
So highly technical that that it was missed by teams of climate scientists and expert computer programmers. However an ex-politician was able to bring his superior intellect to bear and spot it in an instant. Must be nearly as clever as a creationist!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Daily Mail and Nigel Lawson at it again.

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Ahem. Somebody informed me the other day that "we can't have politics dragged into the forum" (quite right too, though the thread which I had deleted also referred to this past BCSE blog post: http://bcseweb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/u ... onist.html)
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 am

There's politics and politicians, Ashley. I don't suppose any party is free from fundies or denialists.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:10 am

I thought Global Warming was caused by illegal immigrants?
'Young Earth Creationism' allowing atheists to prove the Bible is wrong since 1961.
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 pm

jon_12091 wrote:I thought Global Warming was caused by illegal immigrants?
Would they really want to steal our cold?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:There's politics and politicians, Ashley. I don't suppose any party is free from fundies or denialists.

There have been past posts here attacking eg Michael Gove even though he is not a creationist, a Lawsonesque dogmatic climate change sceptic, or a believer in homeopathy - as far as I know.

(And yes, I once posted an unflattering photo of Gordon Brown here.)

I do accept that my (topical) thread of last Friday whose title referred to a certain UK political PARTY (though the opening post referred to two specific individuals) should have been pulled. I also am not suggesting that THIS thread should be pulled. I was merely pointing out that there have been past posts here, within existing threads, attacking certain UK politicians even though they are not pushing creationism or science-denial/pseudoscience.
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

There have been past posts here attacking eg Michael Gove even though he is not a creationist

Oops sorry that'd be me. Tho in my defence, his free school policy has caused bcse quite a lot of headaches, whether it is in informing the DofE about likely creationist applicants - eg Sheffield - or about new free schools moving into creationist organisations - eg Grindon Hall trying to join CST. So I guess tho not a creationist he is guilty of letting them in thru the back, no sorry, the front door. And of course I won't mention his lovely new Islamic school where even non Muslim teachers are being forced to wear the hijab and girls have to sit at the back even when they can't see the board. Cos that isn't creationism yet.

And I guess I was very guilty of suggesting his policies would be a front door, with financial incentives, to creationism before he became aware of it - via a lot of help from bcse committee. So I apologise reluctantly.

Anyway I won't say more as it is difficult to find neutral things to say about him.
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm no fan of Lawson (either of them).
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:There's politics and politicians, Ashley. I don't suppose any party is free from fundies or denialists.
I'd better add: or facilitators of fundamentalism or denialism, be it by accident or design.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 pm

TOTAL garbage:
http://www.thefreepressonline.co.uk/news/1/2556.htm

She manages to deny both global warming and the inevitability of another ice age glaciation sometime. As well as regurgitating Michael Oard nonsense about a rapid 'post-flood' glaciation - which apparently ended because it stopped snowing (not because temperatures rose).

As the Franklins don't appear to allow comments, I've sent them the following email:

'Ice Age nonsense
http://www.thefreepressonline.co.uk/news/1/2556.htm
http://www.climatechange2013.org/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3351'
a_haworthroberts

Re: AiG LIES about climate change

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Answers in Genesis ALSO at it again:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... lelinkedin

AiG are very fond of quoting Bible verses but at a quick glance (without clicking on links) this article contains NO Bible quotes. Yet they dismiss the evidence and request that Christians believe this YEC dogma: "The global Flood created conditions that triggered the Ice Age, the only one Earth has ever experienced. How much of what we are seeing in earth’s climate today could be related to the global Flood and the Ice Age". Zero per cent I think?

"Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done. “While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, Cold and heat, Winter and summer, And day and night Shall not cease.”" (Genesis 8:21-22, NKJV).

Ah yes, a promise of no catastrophic global warming post-Flood. And NO ICE AGE post-Flood either (and there has not been one in the last 4,300 years either despite YEC lies to the contrary).

READ ALL ABOUT IT. AIG ARE INCONSISTENT IN HOW THEY READ GENESIS VERSES - ACCEPTING MEANINGS THAT ARE NOT THERE WHEN SCIENCE CONFIRMS A REALITY THEY CANNOT DENY, WHILST REJECTING OTHER MEANINGS THEY HATE WHEN THEIR SCIENCE-DENIAL IS DIFFICULT, SO FAR, TO PROVE WRONG.

And just how many qualified climatologists or meteorologists work at AiG?

"How does the IPCC explain the seemingly favorable non-warming trend since 1988?" They DON'T - because no such thing exists and AiG are either moronic liars or they cannot proof-read their articles properly.

Yet another mistake in an AiG article that none of the moronic Facebook fans appear even to have noticed so far.

I will notify AiG but I am 99% sure that they will not amend their article to '1998' (if they do it will be because SOMEBODY else points out the mistake as they seem to have decided that I am a 'liar' who must be censored and ignored).
a_haworthroberts

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 am

As sent to AiG via their contact form:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... al-warming
AiG LIES and factual ERRORS regarding climate change:
My post here at 0.55 am BST on 1 October 2013:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3351&p=47362#p47362
Will you correct '1988' to '1998'? Or will you leave your biased readers in IGNORANCE?

May I also remind Ken Ham - who is moaning about some atheists on his blog (who apparently don't yet know what will be contained in a YEC-produced movie entitled 'Genesis' yet are critical of it) - of THIS:
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... something/
Hawking's book had NOT been published in the US by 03.09.10 - as I pointed out at the time.
a_haworthroberts

Ken Ham's latest hot air

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:30 pm

I was not going to post this here - but my attempt to send this to AiG via their website may have FAILED (for reasons unknown, technical I think).

"
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... Ken+Ham%29
"Ultimately, however, we know that climate is rooted in the global Flood of Noah’s day."
LIAR.
You anti-science bigots do NOT speak for all Christians.
Thankfully."

I admit I did not bother with the companion piece by Dr Alan White PhD. (Nor have I bothered with last Friday's latest IPCC report.)
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All