Up Coming TV

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:22 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:I admit I didn't notice Roger's error. Well done to you for spotting it!

It was an error on my behalf. Sorry. No excuse for it.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Krijimbesuesi wrote:Oh, and the only one claiming whales were on the Ark was Jerry Coyne! The "fairy tale" he derided is entirely inside his head.
And the common ancestor of the whale and the hippo? Ie the whippo kind from which they both degenerated over the next 4500 years? That wasn't aquatic so must have been on the ark.
Which reminds me - Marc, are you listening? - what about all those sea creatures that eat each other - were they all veggies too? Are sea cucumbers vegetables that the sharks could have lived off?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Krijimbesuesi wrote:You see, yesterday I found out that Sam from the programme is my pastor's nephew!
I haven't seen the programme. Is Sam the young chap (redhead IIRC) who had his two minutes on "4thought.tv" a while ago?

No - a different Sam (a bit older).
See photo here, where he's standing at the far right: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... eationism/
I don't think the programme quoted any of the trippers' surnames.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 pm

It's wishful; thinking to say you have burst anyone's bubble

Yep, more of the "imminent demise of evolution" crap that we hear so often from young Earth creationists.

Sorry to burst your bubble Krijimbesuesi , but conventional geology is not abandoning current theories in favour of Tas Walker's misrepresentations on the subject.

If you wish to remain delusional then fine. Dream on.
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:05 am

At one stage in the tour, Andrew Maxwell attempted to take the guests into a "gay church". It appears that Phil at least objected and so that was abandoned, and the church they were actually taken to (as filmed) wasn't a "gay" one

Did he? That didn't come thru on the programme, tho Phil did object to one woman who didn't exhibit the homophobia he'd have expected from a creationist. He certainly accused them of it, but as Phil did not come across as credible in any way shape or form I'm inclined not to believe a word he said. Thats the problem with being a shouty creationist, you tell so many lies and sound so aggressive that even if you are telling the truth nobody believes you.

Maxwell & co. had tried to take them all for a ride by pretending the programme would all be about creation/evolution while intending to get them embroiled in the gay issue.

Well the gay issue didn't come up really. One woman when interviewed about her faith (normal in such programmes) stated she wasn't homophobic and Phil took umbrage with her for that. But the only other person mentioning it was Phil so it must have passed the others by as I can't believe they were all as tolerant as her. Not a single other person mentioned the gay church issue on air which is very odd given how much he mentioned it. It looked to me like he saw he was losing the creationist battle and looking silly so decided to muddy the waters himself. Again I may be wrong, but its an educated guess based on experience of creationists.

(2) Still more seriously for the programme's credibility,Still more seriously for the programme's credibility, I am informed that when Dr Prothero first tipped his bucket, the water didn't all run straight! So that he had to repeat the attempt at least once until he got the desired effect, which of course was the only occasion broadcast.
You were informed? By a trustworthy source or a creationist? Why not try it yourself and see if you get horseshoe pass. Its quite simply, but I suggest you film it as creationists do not have a good reputation.

just by the BBC (no surprise there in view of the current torrent of scandal about Savile) but also by Dr Prothero, who even if he had no hand in the editing/censorship, should never have claimed that "success" at the umpteenth attempt proved his point.
Can you put a more precise figure on umpteenth? And can you detail how many attempts gave the distinctive shape of horseshoe pass? Why did the person involved no film it. Perhaps they can ask the bbc for the horseshoe pass shaped attempt?

As for Jimmy saville, as I understand it he stands accused of abusing young girls in an era when to be honest, at a much lower level such things were common. Unfortunately that type of abuse is on kids who are far to naive to report it, or even realise that he is in the wrong - they were kids and kids weren't listened to. And a lot of it was sadly common in that era I'd imagine. I remember when it was normal to be groped at school, in the pub and even at work up until the early 90s and be told it was just a bit of fun.

And the same abuse happened in many of your creationist churches as well I'd imagine, and in care homes, orphanges other churches, schools. It was not confined to the bbc. That is the nature of abusers, they are credible and believable and appear so nice on the surface. Thats how they avoid being caught.

Yes they should have done something and hopefully those who knew and didn't ask will have the book thrown at them but that isn't a reflection of attitudes now cos they've changed. Just go look at some old carry on films and see if they'd be allowed today!
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned and and passed me by but this looks interesting.

Next Monday and Tuesday 22/10 and 23/10 BBC 2, nine o'clock. Prehistoric ancestry, reconstructing of our ancestors. Programme one is neanderthal and two homo erectus Plus one more that I can't find details off. Anyway this is what programme one promises.
Duration: 1 hour

Anatomist Professor Alice Roberts and biologist Dr George McGavin go on an extraordinary evolutionary journey to meet three of our ancient ancestors. By the end they will have travelled back nearly four million years.

At the Prehistoric Autopsy HQ in Glasgow, with the help of a team of international experts, each episode follows the rebuilding of one of our most iconic ancient ancestors from the bones up. They start with our closest prehistoric relative - a Neanderthal.

To make the reconstructions as accurate as possible Alice and George have travelled the globe, gathering evidence from the world's leading scientists. In the lab at the Prehistoric Autopsy HQ, scientists put the latest theories to the test to see how similar or different we really are to our ancient ancestors, while experimental archeologists look for clues as to how they lived.

All the research has been fed to a team of model makers who have spent months painstakingly reconstructing skeletons, muscles, skin and hair.

The team reveal the latest research that is casting a new light on Neanderthals - not just in the way they may have hunted, clothed their families and even painted jewellery, but also what they may have sounded like.

Alice and George also put their own DNA to the test to see just how closely related we really are to Neanderthals.

And at the end of the programme our reconstructed Neanderthal will finally be revealed - as we come face to face with one of our prehistoric ancestors from 70,000 years ago.  Show less

Anatomist Professor Alice Roberts and biologist Dr George McGavin go on an extraordinary evolutionary journey to meet three of our ancient ancestors. By the end they will have travelled back nearly four million years.
At...  Show more