Up Coming TV

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm

To paraphrase Prof. Andy McIntosh BSc, PhD, DSc, FIMA, CMath, FInstE, CEng, FInstP, MIGEM, FRAeS, better to have no qualifications in science than to pervert however so many you have.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:To paraphrase Prof. Andy McIntosh BSc, PhD, DSc, FIMA, CMath, FInstE, CEng, FInstP, MIGEM, FRAeS, better to have no qualifications in science than to pervert however so many you have.

Indeed Brian, it's funny how McIntosh can talk at length about geology despite having no qualification whatsoever in the subject. Astounding.

I'd point this out to Sarfati but he'd only ban me from his Facebook page.
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Indeed Brian, it's funny how McIntosh can talk at length about geology despite having no qualification whatsoever in the subject. Astounding.
What's the problem Peter, when you've actually seen the Grand Canyon formed in a "matter of hours"? At least, I assume that he did - as an acolyte of Ken Ham he must have been there, mustn't he? Else it's just historical creationism, without any foundation in fact.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 am

Brian Jordan wrote:To paraphrase Prof. Andy McIntosh BSc, PhD, DSc, FIMA, CMath, FInstE, CEng, FInstP, MIGEM, FRAeS, better to have no qualifications in science than to pervert however so many you have.

No wonder Leeds University disowned him and he took early retirement. I hadn't realised he'd made this statement. It speaks volumes about his attitude.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am

Just for the record, Roger, what he actually said (literally, it was in one of his sermonisings) was that no matter how many letters a scientist has after his name, they are nothing unless he [believes in the bible, I think it was]. Which is why I often list his collection of letters (including Member of the Institute of Gas Engineers and Managers, which seems particularly appropriate) after his name.
Edit: correct wording of MIGEM
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Unless 'he' believes speaks volumes as well.

What about, let people get their educations and qualifications fairly and without recourse to nonsense and THEN let them decide about Genesis and creation science. Just like Andy Mac and co have done. Why always target the vulnerable kids who have yet to reach their positions.

Has anyone heard of AC Grayling. I have a chance to see him for free and have a feeling I've heard the name but it hasn't registered, and have the feeling I heard the name here?
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

cathy wrote:Unless 'he' believes speaks volumes as well.

What about, let people get their educations and qualifications fairly and without recourse to nonsense and THEN let them decide about Genesis and creation science. Just like Andy Mac and co have done. Why always target the vulnerable kids who have yet to reach their positions.

Has anyone heard of AC Grayling. I have a chance to see him for free and have a feeling I've heard the name but it hasn't registered, and have the feeling I heard the name here?

He's an academic philospher at Birkbeck College (University of London). Very much a leading public intellectual. He's recommended if you like philosphy. He really is at the top end of his area of expertise in the UK. I've read a couple of his books and they were very good, indeed. IIRC he's involved in the British Humanist Association. Not therefore inclined towards religion.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm not inclined toward religion, but then neither am I inclined towards the British Humanist Association :( . It will be free as well so think I might go.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Any idea what he'll be talking about, Cathy?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 pm

The Good Book. I think he's written a book called The Good Book.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 am

cathy wrote:The Good Book. I think he's written a book called The Good Book.
Ah yes. IIRC it's a kind of Alternative Bible, built from... I suppose moralistic... stories or articles not involving gods. Or something like that. Wikipedia puts it better!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Book_%28book%29
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:54 pm

On Sunday's The Big Questions, one of the topics is 'Can children be damaged by fundamentalist religions?'
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:On Sunday's The Big Questions, one of the topics is 'Can children be damaged by fundamentalist religions?'
Not a programme I like - such rarely get anywhere. iPlayer allows skimming, though, so I might sample it after it's over. I wonder how they'll decide what "fundamentalist" means?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:31 am

I think it's a useful platform sometimes.

This weeks has been quite interesting so far. Do we have a moral obligation to intervene in Russia. Fundamentalist Children is last topic.

Currently Does Clare's Law go Far Enough (the right for women to find out if new partners have previous convictions for violence against women, the father of Clare Wood is giving his heart breaking take on it). Interesting to have just before the fundamentalist damage to children given the view of women of most fundamentalist religions. FGM, marital rape, even the Jewish girls school.
cathy

Postby cathy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:34 pm

The Big Questions, when it finally got to fundamentalist parents, was interesting. Johnny Scaramanga was on it and was very good. What was interesting was the Rev'd John Davies was on his side and against the fundamentalist Christian. The fundamentalist Christian did the hell talk (I can attest to that being very damaging - so damaging that the RCC has long since abandoned it as a strategy, in fact I last heard it at primary school from a fairly ancient nun if I'm honest). Rev'd John Davies said the hell stuff was what he'd been reared on and it had entirely turned him off religion as a child. He now took a different take on things. But called what she believed rubbish.

There was the old homophobia stuff from from fundie christian woman and fundie Muslim guy - mainly about it being a choice ha ha. The obvious question to them I guess was when did they choose to be straight.

But the best bit of all was at the end when the fundie Christian woman agreed wholeheartedly with Johnny about creationism ha ha. And that ACE was rubbish and creationism damaging. Even some of the creationists own think they're idiots by the look of it. :) :lol: :lol: :lol:
cathy

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All