Up Coming TV

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Recent Radio 4

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 am

As flagged by Brian at News and Links, this is quite interesting, especially early on:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_of_Life/
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Last night's TV

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... Beginning/
Interesting stuff. The short item about John Frere and Suffolk flints found buried 12 feet deep and close to fossils of extinct animals (starts around 43 minutes' in) was new for me.
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Today's TV

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun May 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Tuned in for a short interview with Bear Grylls on Songs of Praise. He seems a keen Christian. But I recall him at least once referring to 'millions of years' in his 'Born Survivor' programmes. It seems that despite spending so much time out in the wilderness, he seems not to have noticed all those evidences pointing to a youthful planet - assuming they exist of course.
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun May 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Ah yes, the Chief Scout who is alleged to have spent some of his nights "exposed to the elements" in a comfy hotel room. Figurehead of an organisation (which I otherwise admire) that would rather children lied than admit to not believing in gods. These backwoodsmen should learn from the Girl Guides.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-470155/How-Bear-Grylls-Born-Survivor-roughed--hotels.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Today's radio

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 pm

This was interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... eev_Gupta/

But - drawing historical, scientific conclusions about a load of old rocks on Earth and on Mars? Really? And ignoring God's eye-witness account in Genesis regarding how Earth's rocks were recently flooded and most of life wiped out in one single, worldwide, cataclysm. Really?




PS Have been banned from the BBC message board - but have no regrets whatsoever about emailing them and using the f word and the l word about them after they spitefully removed a comment that mentioned that OTHER comments I earlier made about a scheduling issue (that somebody else now raised) had previously been removed by the BBC (who pretended they were 'off-topic' though I did not state this on the message board). The message in question was number 45 here. I was NOT 'discussing moderation' - and part of my post mentioned the new variety of bluebell on display at the Malvern Show as shown on Friday's Gardeners' World:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview ... p116144473

I've probably wasted enough hours of my life posting on their silly message board.
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby cathy » Tue May 14, 2013 4:31 pm

the f word and the l word about them

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but what is the l word?
cathy
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Redditch

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue May 14, 2013 5:53 pm

cathy wrote:
the f word and the l word about them

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but what is the l word?
"Licence"? Guaranteed to rile the BBC :D
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm

cathy wrote:
the f word and the l word about them

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but what is the l word?


Liar(s).

Sorry!
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Up Coming New Media

Postby jon_12091 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm

http://theconversation.com/uk

A very interesting fusion of the journalistic and the academic. Covers pretty much everything including science. Theres an introduction to the site on this weeks R4 Media Show.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
User avatar
jon_12091
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Tonight's TV

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun May 19, 2013 9:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... abretooth/
So no small dinosaurs have been found to have perished within the La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles? Just creatures which lived during and since the last ice age glaciation?
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon May 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Pity I missd this but you can listen again, according to Peter Enns

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/peterenns/ ... -and-adam/

On the show, too, were Denis Alexander and Fuz Rana. Denis, a molecular biologist, is the former director of The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion and the author of Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?. Fuz (Fazale), a PhD in chemistry with an emphasis in biochemistry, is Executive Vice Present of Research and Apologetics at Reasons to Believe and author of The Cell’s Design: How Chemistry Reveals the Creator’s Artistry.

Both Denis and Fuz are wonderful people who present their views without rancor or defensiveness. I think some of the best exchanges were between Denis and Fuz on the degree to which we can be certain about evolution in view of the genomic evidence, and Denis pulled no punches. To summarize the gist of the 82 minute show.

1.Fuz: “Genenitc studies don’t support evolution.”

2.Denis: “Sure they do.”

3. Pete: “I’m with Denis. I’m also not sure why we are still talking about this
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby cathy » Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm

So more christians are standing up to the ID/creationist mob in public? Hopefully?

NOt strictly relevant as it was on stage and not TV but went to see Robin Ince's show last night - he mentioned creationists and the intelligently designed banana and how crap it was. But also said most christians he knew were absolutely fine and let down by the shouty loony ones. So saying the same as many other atheists like Brian Cox and Charlie Brooker, ie you're being let down by the shouty loonies that don't represent you at all. Tho I guess we have the equivalent in Dawkins.
cathy
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Redditch

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon May 20, 2013 5:08 pm

cathy wrote:So more christians are standing up to the ID/creationist mob in public? Hopefully?

NOt strictly relevant as it was on stage and not TV but went to see Robin Ince's show last night - he mentioned creationists and the intelligently designed banana and how crap it was. But also said most christians he knew were absolutely fine and let down by the shouty loony ones. So saying the same as many other atheists like Brian Cox and Charlie Brooker, ie you're being let down by the shouty loonies that don't represent you at all. Tho I guess we have the equivalent in Dawkins.


Indeed Cathy, at least Premier are allowing a discussion on the matter.

If it were up to the YECs that definitely would not be the case.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue May 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Pity I missd this but you can listen again, according to Peter Enns

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/peterenns/ ... -and-adam/

On the show, too, were Denis Alexander and Fuz Rana. Denis, a molecular biologist, is the former director of The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion and the author of Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?. Fuz (Fazale), a PhD in chemistry with an emphasis in biochemistry, is Executive Vice Present of Research and Apologetics at Reasons to Believe and author of The Cell’s Design: How Chemistry Reveals the Creator’s Artistry.

Both Denis and Fuz are wonderful people who present their views without rancor or defensiveness. I think some of the best exchanges were between Denis and Fuz on the degree to which we can be certain about evolution in view of the genomic evidence, and Denis pulled no punches. To summarize the gist of the 82 minute show.

1.Fuz: “Genenitc studies don’t support evolution.”

2.Denis: “Sure they do.”

3. Pete: “I’m with Denis. I’m also not sure why we are still talking about this



I listened (more than an hour in length). Interesting - but I didn't notice the precise exchange reported by Enns. Was he paraphrasing the views of the three participants (in fact I now see that he more or less admits that he WAS)?

More on Fazale Rana: http://jwwartick.com/2013/05/20/rana-ruse-origin-life/
A rare example of an atheist debating some kind of creationist.
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Up Coming TV

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time ... /episode-1
Part of tonight's 'science blitz' - which can be viewed on Channel 4 - or in my case Channel 4 Plus 1 (after Springwatch).
I THINK this is a new or at least updated documentary, rather than a re-hashed and abbreviated version of this earlier one with a different title to make it look new:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time ... /episode-3
Of course if you are a YEC you prefer to have a catastrophic flood BEFORE your ice age rather than after it.
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron