The next phase for creationists in the UK?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cathy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Is this the right langlois www.zoominfo.com/people/Langlois_John try the one under religious liberty com for WEA than he looks a bit American. Is that the right bloke?. He has got links with Guernsey I thought they were in the Channel Isles for tax reasons
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:49 pm

cathy wrote:Is this the right langlois www.zoominfo.com/people/Langlois_John try the one under religious liberty com for WEA than he looks a bit American. Is that the right bloke?. He has got links with Guernsey I thought they were in the Channel Isles for tax reasons

I could not get the link to work, Cathy.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Steve660 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Roger wrote:
you couldn't get names more Scotch that Andy McIntosh or David Anderson.

Please, as a Scotsman I must insist the word is "Scots", or "Scottish". "Scotch" is a kind of whisky.
Steve660

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:58 pm

cathy wrote:Is this the right langlois www.zoominfo.com/people/Langlois_John try the one under religious liberty com for WEA than he looks a bit American. Is that the right bloke?. He has got links with Guernsey I thought they were in the Channel Isles for tax reasons
Link not working for me, either. I don't think there's any doubt that the correct Langlois is a Guernsey legal type, former Guernsey polititian, probably a native of Guernsey, well connected in the W.Evangelical.A. and IIRC an OBE.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Steve660 wrote:Roger wrote:
you couldn't get names more Scotch that Andy McIntosh or David Anderson.

Please, as a Scotsman I must insist the word is "Scots", or "Scottish". "Scotch" is a kind of whisky.

Well what's scotch mist then?
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Sorry the link seems to have disappeared completely and when I went back to where I'd found it the relevant John Langlois seems to have disappeared from the zoominfo. From what I scribbled down when I first found it he was chairman of Advocates international which is some kind of legal system for religious freedom and also on the board of supervisors for something called International Institute for Religious Freedom, Chairman of the John Newton Project- can't work out what that is at all from their website it's really vague (some kind of front organisation?) but it is based near here in Stratford Upon Avon. Admin/Treasurer for World Evangelical Fellowship and part of the WEF/WEA theological commision and something to do with religlious liberty for WEA. He was also director of Guernsey Telecoms Board. Not sure if thats the right one. Quite a few of the John Langlois on the zoominfo list seemed to have religious links. I've also written down Trinity Trust Company but don't know why. Can't really work out why the zoominfo thing has so completely disappeared. Sorry it was there honestly :(
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 pm

cathy wrote:Sorry the link seems to have disappeared completely and when I went back to where I'd found it the relevant John Langlois seems to have disappeared from the zoominfo. From what I scribbled down when I first found it he was chairman of Advocates international which is some kind of legal system for religious freedom and also on the board of supervisors for something called International Institute for Religious Freedom, Chairman of the John Newton Project- can't work out what that is at all from their website it's really vague (some kind of front organisation?) but it is based near here in Stratford Upon Avon. Admin/Treasurer for World Evangelical Fellowship and part of the WEF/WEA theological commision and something to do with religlious liberty for WEA. He was also director of Guernsey Telecoms Board. Not sure if thats the right one. Quite a few of the John Langlois on the zoominfo list seemed to have religious links. I've also written down Trinity Trust Company but don't know why. Can't really work out why the zoominfo thing has so completely disappeared. Sorry it was there honestly :(

Hummm. Anyone get the feeling that the Langlois entry was deliberately removed because C4ID and its pals realised what we are on to? Langlois is not only a lawyer but very well connected. He's a big fish in Guernsey as well as in the international evangelical movement. He's not the only big fish. Nevin is a big fish in NI and Noble a big fish in Scotland.

These people are not like Truth in Science which basically consisted of a bunch of non-entities with a clown, David Anderson, acting as their "PR" agent.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 am

cathy wrote:Sorry the link seems to have disappeared completely and when I went back to where I'd found it the relevant John Langlois seems to have disappeared from the zoominfo. From what I scribbled down when I first found it he was chairman of Advocates international which is some kind of legal system for religious freedom and also on the board of supervisors for something called International Institute for Religious Freedom, Chairman of the John Newton Project- can't work out what that is at all from their website it's really vague (some kind of front organisation?) but it is based near here in Stratford Upon Avon. Admin/Treasurer for World Evangelical Fellowship and part of the WEF/WEA theological commision and something to do with religlious liberty for WEA. He was also director of Guernsey Telecoms Board. Not sure if thats the right one. Quite a few of the John Langlois on the zoominfo list seemed to have religious links. I've also written down Trinity Trust Company but don't know why. Can't really work out why the zoominfo thing has so completely disappeared. Sorry it was there honestly :(

The zoominfo page may well be cached if someone is web-savvy enough to find it.

He's Chairmen of Trinity Trust and according to the John Newton project he's an OBE (its a heritage project centred on the life and work of John Newton the minister who wrote Amazing Grace and was a former slave ship captain turned abolitionist).

Why someone who is clearly able, energetic and in possession of the kind interpersonal skills so lacking in some of our opponents has come out in favour of ID, which died the moment the wedge document became public, is beyond me.
jon_12091

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Originally just typing in the address I put before got me to a list of John Langlois's and I just checked out the religious looking ones till I found the relevant one. The full web address was www.zoominfo.com/people/Langlois_John_2096926 which now just brings you to the profile of one wrong Langlois and when you try to search for the relevant one he no longer appears to be on the list? But I didn't imagine it-he was definitely there to start with-lots of religious links AND an association with Guernsey so can't work out where the hell the relevant info has gone. The John Newton website didn't say what sort of heritage project it was?There was lots about a John Newton and amazing grace and abolition but nothing about what it was doing now. I couldn't work out what it was supposed to be achieving now but it was asking for money. Have to go to Stratford some time this week so will see if I can find the headquarters and see what they look like.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Have had another look at the John Newton Project website that he's chairman of and still can't work out what it is. However it's mission statement is to "Transform society through faith in Jesus Christ using the life and works of John Newton" which struck me as a bit odd. It has a city link which list areas where John Newton projects are taking place and Guernsey was one of them. Couldn't access that bit of the website though.

For what it's worth the John Newton project also seems to be listed on something called sourcewatch. www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=John_Newton_Project
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Ok seem to have found the zoominfo stuff again. Try this one www.zoominfo.com/people/Langlois_John_3395672.aspx see if that one works. He's also listed on sourcewatch as chairman of the john newton project. Sourcewatch says it looks at front organisations and media friendly, spin doctory type fronts to opinion formers. Have any of you heard of it. It looks like it's the John Newton project they're concerned with but only give refererences to the website which says nothing.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:21 pm

I've just come up with another very interesting connnection, one David Jeremiah. He really is American - Southern Baptist megachurch pastor whose recently got himself into a spot of bother when it comes to his book keeping. Looks like he's also a rapture readyite.

Well, I dunno how to check it but apparently on C4ID's terms and conditionis section of its web site there was a connetion to his web site at http://www.davidjeremiah.org/site/ C4ID seems to have removed the link sometime after 14th Oct.

Just for some background: The Rapture Readyites are basically staunch supporters of Israel because they think Israel and the Jews will play a big pivotal role in the second coming of Christ. Therefoe sod the Palestinians because they won't.

In Northern Ireland, the nationalists tend to support the Palestinian cause. Nice to see Nevin linked to an American Prod cause that'll upset the Taigs! :-(

Of course this now raises some issues about John Langlois who has described himself as being "effectively deputy prime minister of Guernsey". As far as I can make out (i.e. I'm likely to be wrong), Langlois was a pretty conservative right wing politician. Can anyone confirm thhis and what his views on Israel are? I'd also like to know what his religious denomination is -any ideas anyone?

I've now been through C4ID's web site with a fine tooth comb. They are a bunch of clowns. More details to follow. They don't even know what Intelligent Design is. They are scientifically illiterate on the subject.
Last edited by Roger Stanyard on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Here's some reading matter:
http://www.worldevangelicals.org/aboutw ... nglois.htm
On the World Evangelical Alliance generally, the UK's Evangelical Alliance are affiliated and they tend to sit on the fence a bit on 'evolution vs creationism'. But I get the impression that John Langlois is probably a no nonsense ID-er or creationist given the remark by this unnamed writer about 'evangelicals'.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:Here's some reading matter:
On the World Evangelical Alliance generally, the UK's Evangelical Alliance are affiliated and they tend to sit on the fence a bit on 'evolution vs creationism'. But I get the impression that John Langlois is probably a no nonsense ID-er or creationist given the remark by this unnamed writer about 'evangelicals'.

Thanks for that. very valuable info! Transpires from that that Langlois is a Pentecostal. As far as I can make out there are only three Pentecostal churches on Geurensey. All three are Elim Pentecostal, the same denomination on whose behalf Peter Loose organised a 2005 tour of the UK of the creationists Andrew Snelling and Phillip Johnson, head of the Discovery Institute. The lead oragnisation in tha was the Kensington Temple, the biggest Elim church in Britain. I don't now if the two turned up on Guernsey (I suspect not) but Langlois appears to have been resident in London for significant periods of time. He owned a home there.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:42 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:Here's some reading matter:

Well Langlois is a lawyer so clearly has a grasp on precise use of language - still, a cynic might point out that Sundays rolling around on the floor and speaking in tongues is not exactly precise use of language. ;-)
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All