Two More New Members

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Two More New Members

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:13 pm

We have two more new members to wlecome thisafternoon - Matty and Postblogger. Both have serious science backgrounds from what they have said so far.

Welcome to the group.

Perhaps you might like to introduce yourselves.

Roger
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

I'm a new member

Postby postblogger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 pm

Hullo everybody. This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me.

I'm ashamed to admit that I came here after reading the plug in Pharyngula, which I link to from my blog. As Roger mentioned, I've got a science background.

In fact, I've even got a science foreground...

When I was young and beautiful, I did my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry. When I got a little older and uglier, I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I did a doctorate in the same subject. Then I realized that I was never going to pull if I said I was a scientist, so I played professional rugby for a bit. And that made me look like Roger's Avatar, so I went back to science and am now a postdoc at a marine biology lab down in the southwest.

I've done a little bit of evolutionary evangelism already - I've given a few talks to 6th form General Studies and RS classes on the mechanisms and implications of evolution and have published a paper about a fantastically obscure adaptation. Doesn't mean I know that much about the broader implications of it, 'though...

Anyway, I think prevention is better than cure and I worry incessantly about science education, so this seems like a natural place to come...
postblogger

Re: I'm a new member

Postby Timothy Chase » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:03 pm

postblogger wrote:Hullo everybody. This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me.

I'm ashamed to admit that I came here after reading the plug in Pharyngula, which I link to from my blog. As Roger mentioned, I've got a science background.[/blog]

I have gone ahead and added your blog to our links page. I think it might bring some traffic in the days ahead.

In fact, I've even got a science foreground...

postblogger wrote:When I was young and beautiful, I did my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry. When I got a little older and uglier, I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I did a doctorate in the same subject. Then I realized that I was never going to pull if I said I was a scientist, so I played professional rugby for a bit. And that made me look like Roger's Avatar, so I went back to science and am now a postdoc at a marine biology lab down in the southwest.

I have been trying to add a few online journals (mostly open access) of direct relevance to evolutionary biology, both in the UK and abroad, so if you have any suggestions...

postblogger wrote:I've done a little bit of evolutionary evangelism already - I've given a few talks to 6th form General Studies and RS classes on the mechanisms and implications of evolution and have published a paper about a fantastically obscure adaptation. Doesn't mean I know that much about the broader implications of it, 'though....

I would probably be interested in the a paper about the adaptation - assuming I could understand it. But - I also suspect we may be interested in the talks, particularly in the days ahead. And oddly enough, I think we will be taking an interest in science education with a special focus in the area of evolutionary biology.

postblogger wrote:Anyway, I think prevention is better than cure and I worry incessantly about science education, so this seems like a natural place to come...

Sounds good.

Glad you are with us!
Timothy Chase

Return to Free For All