Andy McIntosh's Beliefs

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Andy McIntosh's Beliefs

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 pm

One of our researchers has looked at some of the audio tapes on AiG's web site where Andy McIntosh is talking and done some transcripts.

They have been posted to our wiki at http://www.bcseweb.org.uk/index.php/Mai ... usOpinions.

It's really great having BCSE members with PhD's in science from Leeds University to do this sort of research! It gives us some serious credibility when we get the likes of Anderson shouting his mouth off that we are all uneducated morons.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I suggest people read his "Genesis for Today" (DAYONE 2001). He tries to show the theological importance of early Genesis but is as you expect totally literalist. He wrongly claims that Christians were all literalist (ie 6 day) before the naughty geologists came along in 1800 tries to claim Faraday as one of his own - actually pro-geology even if anti evolution in the 1860s like most physicists and geolgists of that decade.

His view of the resurrection is off-beam to us orthodox Christians as it is a literal coming back to life again which shows that he has learnt no theology since he left kindergarten sunday school.

Then read the scientific appendices - howlers and misrepresentation on geology as I have shown, and if an astrophysicist looked at his stuff the age of stars they could do a hatchet job. (I do know a little more about astrophysics than Mac does geology but I dont comment on my areas of incompetence)

Michael

PS If BCSE wishes to stop Creationism they would do best not to repeat the usual strong atheist line, and concentrate on the main issue.
Michael

Postby Ian Lowe » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:52 pm

PS If BCSE wishes to stop Creationism they would do best not to repeat the usual strong atheist line, and concentrate on the main issue.

Not that helpful Michael.

BCSE is not an atheist organisation, but it has atheists as members - that's the point, remember? a united front against the common enemy.

Why are you now talking about the BCSE as "they"? surely that should be "we"?

There is no value whatsoever in you attacking the BCSE output as "the usual" atheist line when you are more than capable of providing contructive suggestions on what the page should say!

Ian.
Ian Lowe

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:09 pm

Sorry my PS was not helpful. The article on McI was perfectly fair.

What I was trying to say is that first Mci's theolgy is oddball for most evangelicals in the UK, and that if many or some on this forum repeat strident atheistic views eg faith is contrary to reason, the voice of BCSE will not be heard. Several on the Christians in Science listserve have picked this up .

I mix with scientific types of all shades of belief and over the years have had much support and help from atheists and agnostics. I dont ask them to agree with me but I get fed up with the mantra "faith is contrary to reason"

Michael
Michael

Andy McIntosh's Beliefs

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Michael wrote:

Several on the Christians in Science listserve have picked this up .

Then invite them to come in and speak. They can take their pick of
forums. I honestly fail to see the problem and they would *not* be
discriminated against.
Anonymous

Postby Ian Lowe » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Encourage these Christians to sign up then!

Some people here may well express stridently atheist views, but that is not the position of the BCSE - far from it - and if those views are in somewhere inappropriate (such as the scripture debate, science only, campaign areas etc) then they will be moderated.

All of the atheists here have chosen to step back from our other concerns, and unite for the sake of confronting this bigger problem.

Clear discussion areas exist on the forum here to allow, and indeed encourage a more open discussion without standing on each other or rubbing each other up the wrong way.

If, however, christians will not take part because they think we are somehow too atheist... how will we ever come to represent a position more appealing to Christians?

I'm an atheist, no bones about it.. but I'd much rather have christians standing here with me answering the theological and scientific fallacies of creationism.

or, as it was so eloquently put recently, "better inside the the tent pissing out..."
Ian Lowe

Postby Ian Lowe » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Okay folks - this is not a particularly helpful discussion to be having.

I'm going to delete the last few posts - please respect this and move on.

There are a lot of positive things to be getting on with, we do not need another tired christians v atheists discussion.

[edit] OKay, that approach isn't working. this thread is now closed. Let's not bring this one up again please?
Ian Lowe

Return to Free For All